Leitão & Irmão
Long renowned for its jewelry and silversmith work, Leitão & Irmão moved from Oporto to Lisbon when it was awarded the title ‘Crown Jewelers’ in 1875. Today’s designs are still produced in the House’s workshops. With an impressive history, Leitão & Irmão was founded in 1822 in the emblematic Rua das Flores, the classic goldsmith’s street in Porto. In those days, the shop was a shop/workshop, so the craftsmen would work in sight of the customers behind the sales counter. The most popular item was the heart-shaped necklace.
King Louis gave Leitão & Irmão the title of “crown jewelers”
In 1866, the house expands its business to Europe, opening stores in Paris and London, building up and important network of contacts and in 1872, Peter II, Emperor of Brazil, grants Leitão & Irmão the title of “Goldsmiths of the Imperial House of Brazil”. 5 years later, in 1877, they open their Lisbon store in the Chiado district and in 1887 the Leitão & Irmão manufacturing mark is registered, the oldest one in the country that still exists. In December of this year, King Louis gives them the title of “crown jewelers”, and they kept on being the number one choice for gifts to family, friends and celebrities. Since then, they have maintained their elite status and continue to be one of the best jewelry houses in the world, occupying a prestige spot inside Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon.