Jacques Bec and Artur Miranda
Jacques Bec and Artur Miranda are the masterminds behind Oito em Ponto, one of Portugal’s foremost design firms. Their vintage glamour designs, coupled with a uniquely fun approach to 21st-century style are what defines their flamboyant creations.
Just after opening their first Lisbon store at Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon, we asked them a few questions on why they chose the city and why they love it so much:
– Secret location?
We do love Café Lisboa by José Avillez in the Largo de São Carlos. We like to sit in the outside terrace during Spring/Summer or just “cocooning” inside when the weather is less mild, listening to the rehearsal of the next concert…
– Best view?
Looking at the sunset through the small windows of Torre de Belém.
– A guilty pleasure?
A lukewarm Pastel de Belém…
– When in town, where can we find you on a Saturday afternoon?
Strolling around in Monserrate’s garden in Sintra.
– A perfect day with friends?
The grand tour – from Guincho to Sintra, a couple of stops, a lovely lunch and a sunset.
– A trend for Lisbon’s future?
To be unique and authentic, proposing an international and updated version of Portuguese lifestyle and traditions.
– Where do you get inspiration?
Everywhere, in all places… We love small details! They are the basic inspiration for much bigger ones!
– Places in Lisbon with unique/timeless design?
Museum Calouste Gulbenkian – the building and the collections.
– Whose house would you like to re-decorate?
The Antenor Patiño’s house in the outskirts of Lisbon.
– One detail that has to be perfect in your projects?
Definitely lighting, and very often as a result of the control on the use of shadow. It will immediately bring/give an enormous sense of comfort, and will make everything much more glamourous.
– Your most demanding project thus far?
A private “resort” on the outskirts of Luanda, that can accommodate 60 guests, and is prepared to have parties of up to 400 people!
– You chose to open your atelier in Lisbon at Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon? Why? What will it bring your clients?
Yes we did. First of all we needed a “calling card” in Lisbon, and we cannot think of a better spot to have it! We just love the Ritz building, and the services that go with it! To our clients, it will give them the possibility to “see&touch” a little sample of Oitoemponto’s aesthetic universe, get acquainted with our interior design services as well as a small choice of objects, the home fragrances of Frederic Malle and the notebooks of Fine&Candy.
– Favorite drink in the city? Coolest place to have a drink?
A chilled Favaios wine. The coolest place: Lux-Frágil, always.
– What can you do here & nowhere else?
We can go to Pap’açorda restaurant and stay at Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon!
– How do you unwind?
Silence, sea or mountain and sun.
– Something you cannot resist?
We just can’t miss an Opera produced by Robert Carson!
– Someone NOT to be stuck on an elevator with?
A hysterical dog!?!?