Chef Olivier da Costa, is a big name among Lisboners when it comes to the dinning scene in Lisbon. Olivier, one of the most well-kown chefs in the country, is celebrating his 20th career anniversary. His consolidated career is reflected in his eight restaurants, and the chef’s signature in three.
His restaurants get highlighted not only for their food but also for the concepts and lively spaces he creates. Always located in some of the best locations in town, his choices are wise and explain once more his decades of success. After the success of his restaurants in town, Olivier now also has a beach restaurant; Praia – Sea, Salt and Pepper, literally on the beach, in the São João beaches in Costa da Caparica, a mere 15-minute drive from Lisbon.
So we wanted to talk with him to get to know a bit more about the chef behind all these success stories, and ask him where are his favorite secret locations and other spots he likes to stop by. See the interview below.
– Secret location?
– Best view?
Montemar Restaurant, at Guincho, Cascais. Having lunch with an amazing sea view.
– A guilty pleasure?
It´s a secret.
– Where can we find you on Sunday?
Playing golf at Quinta do Perú.
– A trend for Lisbon’s future?
Lisbon is already one of the trendiest cities in Europe. Becoming the place where luxury brands make their international presentations to the world.
– Favourite drink in the city?
A beer at the Ritz Bar.
– Where do you like to unwind?
The Gym. Every morning.
– Something you cannot resist?
A golf game.
– What can you do here & nowhere else?
Work. Work makes me happy every single day.
– What’s your favorite beach?
I love my restaurant “Praia”, at S. João beach. To relax, the Pine Cliffs, Algarve, it’s my favorite beach spot.
– A favorite daytrip from Lisbon. And why?
Cascais, to have lunch at Montemar Restaurant. Just because sometimes I really need to be close to the sea.
– Someone NOT to be stuck in an elevator with?
With a serial killer
– Where do you find inspiration?
In the World
– If you had to name one (only one!) dish and/or drink from each of your restaurants, what would they be?
Yakusa – “Bunkers”; Guilty – “Pizza Inferno”; KOB – Bife KOB; Petit Palais – “Crepes do Mar”; Olivier Avenida – “Picanha com massa de trufa”.
– A Sushi restaurant:
– A meat restaurant:
– A beach Restaurant
– What next?
A new “experience” coming soon…!
– Do you have one favourite ingredient? That you always tend to use?
– A dish from your childhood?
Scrambled eggs with tuna and rice.
– A dish your father taught you?
– One thing in the kitchen you can’t live without?
Knives!I can live without them.
– The best dessert you’ve ever had?
Coulant au Chocolat